Bergadian

Sunday, April 10, 2005

GUESS WHO IS NOW ON A DIET

With three months to go before Small Dog's yearly check-up, I was already dreading what her Vet would say when she got on the scales to be weighed. Not that she eats much - in fact she eats very little for her size, and definitely no "I want some of your food" when I eat. She learned early on that my food is MY food. However, two years ago her weight had gone up 700 grammes from the previous year and did I get told off. No doubt it was because she doesn't get enough exercise, although no way was she fat. Not even tubby, and her spine and ribs were easily felt. Last year her weight was down by 400 grammes, to a reasonable 7 kilos, which is fine.

But, at 7 years old now, I know that she really shouldn't get any heavier. The only problem is that I can't weigh her. Sure - get on the bathroom scales and weigh myself and then pick her up and weigh both of us - deduct one from the other, but the only problem is that I can't see the stupid scales to read what weight they register. And I did have the feeling that she was getting a bit heavier.

So, the last time I phoned Yehuda to bring some food for her, I asked if he had any diet food. Not geriatric food - just diet food. Dry food, as that is what she has always had. That was about three weeks ago, and guess what, Lexie loves the stuff. She does't even demand the previously usual teaspoon of chicken soup on it, and in fact is satisfied with even less than the small amount she used to need.

Has she lost weight? I'm pretty sure she has. She certainly feels a bit lighter, and is as bouncy as ever. I still can't pick her up, but then with my lousy arms I can't pick much up, but when she takes a flying leap onto my lap at least it doesn't make me yelp as much as it used to. Mind you, she still insists on taking up most of the bed, and is difficult to shift when I politely request her to move so that I can get up!

Oh Lexie, love of my life, what wouldn't I do for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home