Bergadian

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

VITAMINS and all that JAZZ

I can't remember exactly when, but my (then) doctor suggested that "elderly" people really should think about taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. Elderly? To hell with what my birth certificate says, as far as I am concerned I am only 29. Again. But, as I didn't want to offend him, I checked the local drug stores and looked into the numerous multi-vits available. Being rather confused by the multitude of the miriads of makes, and prices, I asked the pharmacist for a bit of advice.

Oh well, she said, this is the one that everyone buys. Oh yeah? So I asked what was the difference. Nothing. They are all the same, but most people think that the more expensive, the better it must be. But they are all the same. You pay your money, you get what you want. Better or not, they are all the same.

Out with my magnifying glass to check what was in everything and in what quantity. And realised that they ALL had the same things, in the same quantities. And guess what, the one that cost the least, has exactly the same as the one other people feel that they need to spend nearly four times as much on. Unfortunately, when I went to buy a second bottle of the least expensive vits, there weren't any. Luckily, the bottle I had first bought had the telephone number of the importers/supplier. So I phoned them. Well, wouldn't you?

Ever since then I have never bought any multivits, or any additional supplements that my current doctor recomments, from anywhere but directly by phone from the lovely people in the Health Food Store who were so nice when I first called them. I've never met them, never seen their store - I know they have a big warehouse and supply a lot of other Health Food stores with the products they import. I also know that there have a lot of private customers who, like me, only buy from them via phone calls. And for those of us who do, we get a special discount, which can be as much as 50% of their shelf prices. Not only that, but because they keep computer records on their regular phone customers and what we buy, whenever they have extra special offers, as soon as I phone they know exactly what I want and what special offers they have on my needs.

I'm not really lazy, but isn't it nice to be able to just pick up the phone and know that what is wanted will be here the following day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home