Bergadian

Friday, October 14, 2005

THOSE PESKY CRITTERS ARE AT IT YET AGAIN...........................

The mice, I mean. I couldn't understand how they got into my kitchen pedal bin - everytime I opened it one popped out. And then a while later, the pedal didn't work as the opening mechanism broke. Not knowing any better, I bought a new one. And the same thing happened.

The little blighters were not only going up the mechanism to get into the bins, but were eating their way through the plastic opening mechanism. Right, I thought, let's fox them with a different bin. A tall flip-top one that they can't get into.

Wanna make a bet?

They must have taken a flying leap from the kitchen base unit next to the bin and got in.

Question.

Once they got in, how on earth did they get out? No idea, but they did.

So, I bought a strong plastic dustbin shaped bin, with a close fitting lid - and they can't get into that one. And I doubt if they can eat through THAT. So far, so good. I hope.

Safe at last, I thought. Until I noticed tiny red crumbs on various kitchen surfaces. Strange, I thought. How did they get there, and where were they from? The mice have now taken a liking to red plastic, and are currently chombling their way through the plastic lids on the glass food jars in the kitchen. So far they have only nibbled the edges, and hopefully it will take a good while before the lids are ruined, and in anycase, jars and lids are easily replaceable.

What REALLY was the last straw though, was a couple of weeks ago. My monitor and my keyboard are well covered at night. Not a loose fitting plastic cover, and not just a piece of sheet draped over them, but well tucked in. The following morning, when I uncovered everything to read and then answer a load of emails, as soon as I touched the keyboard I realised something was VERY wrong. A number of keys felt very rough, and when I looked, they had been nibbled at the top and sides of the keys.

Sure, the keyboard worked OK, and there were no tell-tale signs of mouse droppings, but what else could have eaten my keys? An expensive 7 month old keyboard at that. Anyhow, it has now been replaced with a new keyboard, and both the monitor (a thin LSD one) and the keyboard are now covered tightly with pillowcases.

The chewed keyboard? I have kept it, as a spare, as it is still useable. However, I now also have a new, spare mouse (not a four-legged one!) just in case......................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home